LAGRANGE - A lightning strike sparked a fire that heavily damaged a home south of LaGrange early this morning.
LaGrange units were called to a structure fire on County Road 00 East-West at 12:33 a-m. That’s the home of Rob and Deborah Bollinger.
LaGrange Fire Department’s Mark McClish says the Bollingers felt the static electricity from the lightning strike. About 30 minutes later the smoke detectors went off. They went outside and saw fire coming from the peak of the roof.
McClish called for additional manpower and tankers as the roof was on fire when he arrived.
Firefighters from LaGrange, Howe, Topeka, Johnson Township, Shipshewana, Tri-Township and Orange Township responded. The fire was ruled under control just after 5 a-m.
Deborah Bollinger said the 2-and-a-half story Cape Cod home had a metal roof which had to be removed so firefighters could get at the fire beneath. She added the brick walls on both ends of the home were leaning this morning.
Bollinger expressed gratitude to the many firefighters who battled the blaze through the night and stressed the importance of the warning that their smoke detectors provided.
No one was injured. Firefighters remain on the scene this morning putting out hot spots.