(STURGIS) – A gas leak closed down a portion of South Nottawa Street Wednesday afternoon.
Detective-Sergeant Ryan Banaszak says a man in his late 30's walked into the Sturgis Police Department lobby just after 1 PM Wednesday, suffering from hallucinations and extreme paranoia. While talking to the individual, officers learned the man had purposefully caused a significant natural gas leak in his residence before leaving.
Sturgis Police along with the Sturgis Fire Department responded to the 300 block of South Nottawa Street to investigate. Fire officials located the man's residence and found that natural gas was rapidly filling the home.
Firefighters along with workers from Michigan Gas Utilities were able to stop the flow of gas. They also evacuated some nearby homes and a day care center as a precaution. The City of Sturgis Electric Department disconnected power to 12 homes in the area.
Banaszak says that by 3 PM, the home had been cleared of all gas and residents were allowed back into their homes.
Authorities have not said if any charges will be filed against the individual who caused the gas leak.
Sturgis Fire and Police personnel work to take care of a gas leak Wednesday afternoon in the 300 block of South Nottawa Street. (photo courtesy of Mike Stiles/WBET News)