(STURGIS) – Authorities say an electrical cord running a window air conditioner was the cause of an apartment fire.
The Sturgis Fire Department was called to 306 West Congress Street on a report of a structure fire at 7:50 Monday night.
Crews arrived and found light smoke coming from the upstairs bedroom. The tenants reported a fire in a closet at the top of the stairway.
Fire fighters entered the building and found heavy heat in the upper story. A quick knock down was made on the fire, the main body of it was kept to the closet and surrounding area. Several windows were cleared out to vent the heat and smoke.
Although the fire was contained to the upstairs, there was significant heat and smoke damage to the second floor. There was also water damage to both the first and second floor.
The fire displaced tenants from both apartments located in the building.
Firefighters were assisted by the Sturgis Police Department, Sturgis Electric Department and Life Care Ambulance.