Injured Man Recovering After Saturday Fremont Explosion
Monday Jul 14, 2014 4:45am
Fremont Moose Lodge Fremont, IN
By: Jim Measel
(FREMONT) - A Coldwater man who suffered a traumatic hand injury Saturday night about a half hour before the start of the Fremont Music Fest fireworks is recovering at home. Mark White who has helped put on the show for the past five years at the Moose Lodge says the injured man, 61-year-old Dwayne Rathbun, is a friend of his. Rathbun was injured when according to White, a miniature cannon went off as Rathbun was trying to load it. Contrary to some postings on social media sites, White says there was no alcohol involved in the incident. He says Rathbun lost two fingers and part of a third one.
Fremont firefighters responded following the incident as many of them were already at the Moose Lodge for the fireworks show. The Samaritan Helicopter landed in front of the large crowd which had gathered. It flew Rathbun to Parkview Regional Medical Center before he was transferred to a hospital in Indianapolis.
The incident delayed the start of the fireworks show by about 40 minutes.